Transfer Credit

Credit transfers for courses taken at U.S. institutions:

To speed up the approval process and cut down on paper waste, the economics department has instituted a new approval procedure for credit transfers from domestic institutions beginning Fall 2018.

Please follow the steps below to receive approval:

  1. Download the fillable Undergraduate Transfer Credit Approval Form, complete it with the appropriate information and save the file. The parts of the pdf file that are not fillable are for the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) to fill in.
  2. Send an e-mail to [email protected] with the Undergraduate Transfer Credit Approval Form attached, as well as a syllabus or a detailed course description (links to these information online are also sufficient).
  3. The economics department DUS will review the information provided and respond via e-mail with a decision on whether the course is approved for transfer and what it will transfer in as. You may also receive an e-mail if further information is needed before approval can be granted.
  4. Once approved, the DUS will print and sign a hardcopy of the Undergraduate Transfer Credit Approval Form.
  5. Signed forms can be picked up from the folders stored outside the DUS’s office (Monroe 307). The forms are organized by the stated semester of attendance. Signed forms are kept in the folders for 2 semesters, after that the forms will be destroyed and retroactive approval is not guaranteed.
  6. After you pick up the form please follow the instructions stated on the form to complete the credit transfer process.

A few important notes:

  • The DUS will try to answer all requests in a timely manner, but please allow a minimum of 5 business days for a response while classes are in session. During the peak transfer credit approval season (April and May) the approval period may be substantially longer. Requests are processed in the order it was received, no expedition is possible, so please plan ahead.
  • During winter or summer breaks, requests will be handled per the DUS’s availability, and the length of time it takes for the requests to be processed cannot be guaranteed.
  • A list of previously approved courses and associated institutions is available here. This list is updated at the beginning of every semester. You can use the list as a guide if you are looking for classes to take outside of GW. However, even if a course is listed, it does not mean transfer approval is guaranteed. You still have to go through the process detailed above to receive a signed Undergraduate Transfer Credit Approval Form, which you will need in order for the credit to be transferred.